Monday, May 14, 2012

Race Day!



What a wonderful weekend we had!

Our team, Pretty in Pink, consisted of 14 runners and walkers. Together, we raised $3,310.00 for the Susan G. Komen foundation. That amount puts two of our team members on the Pink Fundraising Honor Roll! Woot for yours truly and Sharon! 

A special thanks to Sara Druck for organizing the fundraiser, all of my friends for donating prizes and our wonderful family and friends for purchasing so many raffle tickets.

We also received an amazing donation from Rustic Charm in the amount of $300.00, which were the proceeds from the HOPE necklace Mandi sells.

The day of the walk was amazing. The weather was perfect and spirits were high. It was so great to see all of the survivors and their friends and families. 

This will surely become a yearly event for us. I was shockingly interviewed by Kare 11 news during the walk and a small blurb of me showed up at the 2 minute mark. 
I also showed up at the end of the news shaking my pom poms with my friend, Jamie. I can't find that clip though. Rest assured, we looked awesome! :)

Following the race, we went to the Survivor Circle in the Mall of America. It was great to sit among all the pink shirts. We were given flowers and had a group picture taken. They had people stand if they had been diagnosed 40 years ago..., 30 years ago....., all the way down to the 1 year or less. 
I shed some tears as I stood while everyone clapped for us newbies. 

To feel so supported and loved by complete strangers was an amazing feeling. It also gave me such hope that I will be one of the people standing up at the 40 year mark some day. 
I'm not going to let this disease beat me.....although according to my friend Stacy's sign, it already has!
In memory of?? Come on now!


This is the part of our team that had no interest in running the 5k. A Minnesota Vikings cheerleader took this picture for us. 

L to R: Eric, Jean, Jamie, Jill, Me, Stacy, Jen, Deb, Josh, Palmer, Megan



The support for this event was amazing. Minnesota has one of the largest Komen walks in the U.S. 
It was truly an amazing thing to be a part of.


Me and my love. 
He had SUCH a hard time with this day. It took an emotional toll on him that I did NOT expect. It was hard to see.

We finished the race, but our job is not done. We will continue to walk, fundraise and preach to the masses about early detection of breast cancer until there is a cure for breast cancer.

I WILL live to see a cure for breast cancer. 
Thanks for your support!





4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like you have a great team! I found your blog through a friend and have enjoyed reading about your experiences, many of which are similar to your own. The DC version of the Race is June 2nd and I am really looking forward to it. I won't have hair as cute as yours, but there's always next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you on the news! It is a great cause! Congratulations

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty in Pink is such a cute name. Congrats! My friend just recently passed away from breast and lung cancer.
    There is a new leukemia treatment used that sounds amazing. The hope is to extend it to other cancers too. You can read more on CancerResearchCure.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like such an amazing day. Brought tears to my eyes to see the amount of people out there with you on Mother's Day.
    You continue to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete